Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Natural Blonde Ale

Natural Blonde Ale
            For me blonde ales are a meh beer, something to turn to at the end of a hot day (although it is more likely I will reach for an IPA).  For some reason, however, this style has the reputation for being the penultimate American beer.  Blondes are very approachable (I’m talking beer fellas) and are often medium to light in body with a clear crisp finish and a medium level of hops balanced by a slight malty sweetness.
            The Natural Blonde pours a deep golden blonde with a quickly dissipating head that leaves rings along the glass as it settles.  I found that this beer, in particular, was a steady drink.  I did not become bored of it, my nose filled with the scent of ginger and citrus, nor did I feel the need to think much about it as I drank.  There are subtle notes of grass and a slight floral quality but in the end it rather fit the generic description of a blond ale only with more hops and gusto than most.  The light carbonation made the flavors sit high in the palate, elevating them above the flavor of whatever you are eating.  In its own category I would give the Natural Blonde a B+.   

Beer: Natural Blonde
Serving Type: Tap
Style: Blonde Ale
ABV: 4.6%
Score: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment