Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The People's Pint

The People's Pint
            The People’s Pint is a local bar/restaurant/microbrewery located in the charming town of Greenfield, MA.  They describe themselves as:

“The People's Pint is founded with a commitment to simplicity and a reliance on self and the local community. The Company produces and provides fresh beers, flavorful sodas, and great food in a comfortable atmosphere which encourages respect for people and our environment.”

Which definitely puts them on my radar.  I have been to The People’s Pint before, once when I was too young to drink, so I was very excited to go back and have the full experience.  The interior is dark but cozy rather than seedy.   In Boston this establishment would quickly turn into one of those dreaded hipster hangouts.  A place for young men and women with “ironically” matching oversized and unfashionable outfits (or is it fashionable since everyone is wearing the same thing?) somehow accumulate in one place to discuss their disillusionment with society. 

The Bar
            While there is a prevalence of plaid among the patrons the people darning the garments are more the farmer types, or townies,  or families with young children (yes, they even have their own play corner). 

Kiddie Play Corner
The customers are definitely a conglomerate or people touching on all walks of life.  This charectoristic makes The People's Pint a great family place, a good date destination, and an excellent way to unwind at the end of the day. 
Looking at the board behind the bar

In house beers, sodas, and beer cocktails
I notice that while all of their beer is made in house (they do not insult our taste by offering up pints of Bud Heavy or PBR) they also make all of their own sodas and have a selection of beer cocktails.  I decide to start out with the most popular brew: Farmer Brown, while I wait for a table.  A man with a chest length beard and knit ski cap pulls the tap and places the beer before me - without a word.  I obnoxiously take pictures of him.  He continues to ignore me. 

Bartender with a sunny disposition
The beers here are absolutely fantastic, they are unique and there is something romantic about drinking your beer at the source.  I almost prefer the wait, using the time to sip happily on my beer and watch the people around me interact.  Once seated I look over the menu. It boasts many American/English bar classics: hearty soups, wings, burgers, and sausages but there are also a few wild cards such as green Thai curry and peanut noodles.  The food reflects the kind of hodgepodge of customer base one expects here – the only unifying feature?  Along with good beer we get damn good food. 
I like a burger with my beer but I switched it up... a bit, ordering the squealer.  Get this.  The squealer is a burger made of Shelburne grass-fed beef and, wait for it, house-made bacon ground together served on a bun with all the usual fixings and chipotle mayonnaise.  I decided I should, since I am going local and all, wash down my burger with a pint of 100% local ale.  Nothing bad can happen in this scenario.  Nothing. 
A few years back I actually visited Shelburne farm, a delightful family run farm with all sorts of magnificent cows, chickens, and some of the best jerky I have ever tasted.  The care they put into their animals must translate into something special, and it did.  You have not had a burger until you have ground it up with bacon, do not try to argue this point.  You have not had a burger.  The squealer was rich, packed with flavor – yes the meat penetrated through the chipotle mayo and the onion and tomato and mustard and lettuce and ketchup and cheddar.  It left all of the condiments behind in an operatic production of flavor that left you only a little bit shell-shocked at the conclusion.

The Squealer: Shelburne grass-fed beef and house-made bacon ground together.
Served with cheddar, roasted potatoes and chipotle mayonnaise.

Steak and Stout Pie: A hearty stew of Shelburne grass-fed beef simmered
in the Oatmeal Stout with local root vegetables and a flaky pastry crust.

The 'no bones" Burger: House made veggie patty.

Special: Lam Dahl (locally sourced and pastured lamb)
After that burger I had the bug.  I needed more bacon.  More sweet, smoky, fatty bacon.  Well, the People’s Pint obliged.  I was one and a half bacon-chocolate chip cookies deep when I finally realized I should probably take a picture of these disks of gooey perfection to share with you.  They were positively Shakespearian.    

Bacon-Chocolate Chip Cookies
Expect many attempts to recreate these cookies in the near future. 
            The People’s Pint is one of those wonderful havens from the world, be it the quiet of the country or, as in my case, the noise and overcrowding of the city.  They remain true to their convictions and, because of this, they are able to share a wonderful product with their patrons.  It remains one of my favorite pubs and will continue to do so.  

2 comments:

  1. in nj, i'll have to take you to triumph brewing company, a gastropub, in princeton. they have terrific beers on tap! i went last weekend when i was there for my conference...

    ReplyDelete